So much texture and flavor in every bite and it’s ready in 5 minutes. It has a tropical vibe from the pineapple and mango, and pineapple salsa enhances that.
It’s naturally vegan, gluten-free and almost fat-free.
You can make the salad hotter with some cayenne as you prefer.
- one 14.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup mango, diced in small pieces (I used frozen)
- 3/4 cup pineapple, diced in small pieces (I used frozen)
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo (found in the produce section), or to taste
- 1/2 cup pineapple salsa, or to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- tortilla chips or crackers, optional for serving
- To a large bowl, add all ingredients and stir to combine. Taste and check for flavor and seasoning balance. Make any necessary adjustments, i.e. more salt, pepper, salsa, pico de gallo, etc. and stir again. Serve immediately if desired or cover and chill before serving. Salad will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 4 days. I found the flavors married over time and the salad tasted even better the second day. Leftovers can be served chilled or at room temp. Salad is great as-is or with tortilla chips or crackers.