SERVES: 4 or 5
PREP TIME: 10 min. (not including time to make 15-Minute Refried Beans)
ACTIVE TIME: 20 min.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- One 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, plus more if needed
- 1 teaspoon black salt (kala namak; or regular salt)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Black pepper to taste
- 8 to 10 corn tortillas (2 per person)
- ½ batch 15-Minute Refried Beans
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced avocado, optional
- Shredded cabbage or lettuce, optional
- Sliced radishes, optional
- Chopped green onions, optional
- Lime wedges
1. To make the scrambled tofu: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté
for 3-4 minutes. Crumble the tofu into the pan. Cook, stirring gently, until the tofu is no longer releasing any water and is starting to brown on the edges, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine broth, black salt, cumin, paprika, and turmeric in a small cup.
2. Once the tofu has stopped releasing water, add the broth mixture. Cook for about 5 minutes more, until the liquid is absorbed. If it begins to stick, add another tablespoon of broth to deglaze the pan and reduce the heat. Add the
nutritional yeast (if using) and lemon juice and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and cover the pan to keep warm.
3. To make the rancheros: Heat a small pan over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and cook for about 1 minute, flip it, and cook for about 30 seconds more. Transfer to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
4. Spread some refried beans over each tortilla. Top with tofu scramble, a little salsa, and cilantro. If desired, you can
also top with avocado slices, shredded cabbage, radish slices, and/or green onions. Serve immediately with a lime
wedge. Any leftover scramble can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.