This recipe is really a vegetarian omelette, a delight in my opinion. I hope you like it!
This is the perfect breakfast or brunch even if you only have 20 minutes to spend on food in the morning. Simply press your tofu the night before so it’s ready to add to your veggies and sauce! It doesn’t get much easier than that.
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups kale, loosely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- water to thin
- optional: 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Hot Sauce
- Breakfast potatoes, toast, and/or fruit
- Pat tofu dry and roll in a clean, absorbent towel with something heavy on top, such as a cast-iron skillet, for 15 minutes.
- While tofu is draining, prepare sauce by adding dry spices to a small bowl and adding enough water to make a pourable sauce. Set aside.
- Prep veggies and warm a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil and the onion and red pepper. Season with a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add kale, season with a bit more salt and pepper, and cover to steam for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, unwrap tofu and use a fork to crumble into bite-sized pieces.
- Use a spatula to move the veggies to one side of the pan and add tofu. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add sauce, pouring it mostly over the tofu and a little over the veggies. Stir immediately, evenly distributing the sauce. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until tofu is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately with the breakfast potatoes, toast, or fruit. I like to add more flavor with salsa, hot sauce, and/or fresh cilantro. Serves 2.