- 10 cups broccoli florets, divided
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. pickled ginger, plus more for garnish, plus 1 Tbs. pickling liquid
- 1 Tbs. toasted black and/or white sesame seeds, for garnish
1. Set aside 2 cups smallest, prettiest broccoli florets.
2. Bring 8 cups water, fresh ginger, and salt to a boil in large pot. Add remaining 8 cups broccoli florets; cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until broccoli is bright green and tender.
3. Transfer broccoli from water to blender with slotted spoon; discard ginger. Carefully add cooking water, tamari, oil, pickled ginger, and pickling liquid to blender. Purée until smooth.
4. Return soup to pot, and turn heat to medium-low. Add reserved 2 cups broccoli florets, and simmer soup 5 to 7 minutes, or until florets are crisp-tender. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with pickled ginger and sesame seeds.
- Calories: 73
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 663 mg
- Sugar Content: 0.5 g