SERVES: 4 TO 6
PREP TIME: 15 min (not including time to make Quick Bacon Crumbles)
ACTIVE TIME: 25 min
INACTIVE TIME: 15 min
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (white and light green parts)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Quick Bacon Crumbles , optional
- Chopped green onions, optional
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Add the potatoes, rosemary, thyme, sage, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat.
2. Add the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and liquid smoke. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth (or mostly smooth with a few potato chunks—your call). Alternatively, you can transfer the soup in batches to a blender and carefully blend until smooth.
3. Add salt and pepper. Serve topped with bacon crumbles and green onions, if desired. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 to 6 days.