MAKES: 5 CUPS
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
ACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes
INACTIVE TIME: 3 to 4 hours
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar, plus more if needed
- ⅔ cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 allspice berries
- 3 cloves
- 1 medium red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 3 cups shredded or very thinly sliced red cabbage
1. Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, allspice, and cloves in a small pot and bring to a boil. Once the sugar has completely dissolved, after about 1 minute, remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Pack the onion and cabbage in a large pickling jar or an airtight container. Pour the vinegar mixture over the
vegetables. If the vegetables are not completely submerged, add more vinegar until they are. Seal the container and shake to fully combine. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before using. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 7 to 10 days.