HINT: Use the entire head of lettuce, except for the core and discolored parts, even the tougher outer leaves and the stems.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large leeks, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise, white and light green parts only
- 1 large white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, cored, sliced, about 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound frozen peas
- 1 ½ cups fresh parsley leaves, loosely packed
- 3 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Warm the olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the leeks, onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, about 8 min. Add the lettuce; cook, stirring periodically, until the leaves wilt, about 2 min. Stir in the curry powder and salt. Add the broth, peas and parsley. Cover; heat to a simmer. Cook at a simmer until peas are tender, about 10 min.
- Cool for about 5 minutes; working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until it’s smooth. Pour the soup back into the stockpot; heat gently until warm. You could pour the soup through a strainer. Serve sprinkled with pumpkin seeds.
Please follow and like us: