- 1 large Japanese eggplant
- grape seed oil for frying
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- toasted black sesame seeds, for garnish
- sliced green onions, for garnish
- fluffy white rice or grain of choice, to serve
- Cut the eggplant into 3/4 inch sticks.
- In a deep-sided skillet, heat up 1/2 inch of oil over medium to medium-high until it reaches 360°F. Fry eggplant in small batches, flipping if needed, until lightly golden brown, about two minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on a cooling rack.
- In a small sauce pan, heat up a touch of oil and cook the garlic on medium heat until slightly golden, but not browned, 1-2 minutes. Add the honey, soy sauce and ground pepper. Turn the heat up to high so the honey-soy mixture bubbles, thickens and turns into caramel-sticky goodness.
- Toss the eggplant with the sauce and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy immediately with rice or grain of choice.
If you are a eggplant fan, see also:
Please follow and like us: