- 3 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 heads Belgian endive, trimmed, cut on the bias into 1-inch-thick slices
- 2 apples, skin on, cored, sliced into thin half-moons
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted and chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, and salt, and season with black pepper. Whisk in the
- olive oil in a steady stream to make a smooth, emulsified dressing.
- Toss the endive, apples, and walnuts together in a large serving bowl. Drizzle with the dressing, toss well, and serve immediately.
Belgian endive is an excellent source for Vitamin A which is an essential vitamin to help with good eye health and vision and may protect the eyes from getting cataracts. It is also a good source of folate, which is beneficial to pregnant women to help protect against birth defects. Belgian endive is also high in Vitamin C which is an important vitamin in boosting the immune system and help fight off infections. It is also a good source of calcium to help build strong teeth and bones. Belgian endive is an excellent food to eat to help protect against heart related diseases as it is low in cholesterol and saturated fat.