For the tofu:
- 1 1/4 oz package extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce or tamari)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
For the pintos:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/5 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
For the kale slaw:
- 6 cups shredded kale
Dressing for slaw:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 an avocado
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water (plus more to thin)
- Remaining 1/2 of avocado, diced small
- 8 corn tortillas
Make the tofu:
- Preheat grill over medium high heat, or preheat broiler. Slice tofu into 8 equal slabs, widthwise.
- On a rimmed dinner plate, use a fork to mix together Bragg’s, olive oil and curry powder.
- To grill, spray the hot grill pan with cooking spray. Dredge each slab of tofu into the curry mixture on both sides, then place on the grill. Let cook for about 7 minutes each side, or until grill marks appear.
- For broiling, place on a lightly greased baking sheet about 3 inches from the broiler. Broil each side about 5 minutes, keeping a close eye so that they don’t burn.
- When ready to serve, slice the tofu slabs into four strips lengthwise.
Make the beans:
- Preheat a large pan over medium-high heat. Saute onion in oil with a pinch of salt, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 30 seconds more. Add the chopped tomato, red pepper flakes and salt. Cook until tomato is broken down and releasing juice, about 3 minutes.
- Add the beans and heat through. Mix in the cilantro, and turn the heat off. Keep covered until ready to serve.
Make the Kale Slaw:
- In a blender, pulse the garlic to get it a bit chopped up. Add the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth. Add extra water as needed in order to get it to a thick but pourable consistency, like a thick milkshake.
- Place the shredded kale in a bowl and add the dressing, using a rubber spatula to scrape the blender and get everything out.
- Use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale for about 30 seconds. Taste for salt and seasoning.
- Warm the tortillas (I wrap mine in paper towels and microwave for 30 seconds.) Place a bit of kale, a scoop of beans and a few strips of tofu in each taco. Add a little chopped avocado, and eat up!
Please follow and like us: