- 1/4 cup + 2 tsp raw cashews
- 4 cups of water, divided
- 1/2 tsp of white miso paste
- 8 ounces of white button or cremini mushrooms, divided
- 1/2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped ( about 1 cup of chopped onion )
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup of french lentils du Puy
- 1/2 cup of basmati brown rice
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a blender, combine raw cashews (soaked & drained if necessary), 1/2 cup of water, miso paste and 2 large mushrooms that have been cut into quarters (save the remaining mushrooms for the soup). Once it is fully blended and creamy, set aside for later use.
- Cut the remaining mushrooms into thin slices and set aside.
- Bring a soup pot to a medium heat with extra virgin olive oil. Saute onion and garlic in the pot for a few minutes, until fragrant. Add the sliced mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Continue cooking for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally, while the mushrooms release their liquid and soften.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of water, French lentils du Puy, brown rice, vegetable bouillon cube, dried rosemary, dried thyme, and a pinch more salt. Stir and bring to a simmer. Once the liquid has started to simmer, lower heat and cover for 30 min.
- After 30 minutes, test the rice and lentils to make sure they are done. If no, cook for 5 minutes more. Then add the cashew cream to the pot, stir, and continue cooking for another 5 minutes to allow the flavors to combine. Add freshly ground pepper and any additional salt to taste.
Please follow and like us: