These brussels sprouts gratin are absolutely to die for!!! So amazingly crisp-tender and baked perfectly in the BEST cream sauce ever!!!
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup diced shallots
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch brussels sprouts until crisp-tender, about 3-5 minutes. Drain well and cool in a bowl of ice water. Drain well and set aside.
- Add garlic and shallots to the skillet, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, heavy cream, thyme and nutmeg. Cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated and slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add more milk as needed; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in brussels sprouts, 1 cup cheese until the cheese has melted, about 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Place into oven and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
If you like brussels sprouts, try also this recipe here.
Please follow and like us: