Broccoli and potato soup is truly an incredibly healthy food, especially on a cold winter days. Broccoli, the super food, not only gives the dish a beautiful color, it is packed full of Vitamin C, to help fight all of the stinker viruses that are lurking.
NOTE! Cooking methods can impact the nutrient content and health benefits of broccoli. Boiling can leach up to 90% of the valuable nutrients from broccoli, while steaming, roasting, stir-frying, and microwaving tends to preserve the nutrients.
Potatoes are also a super food when it comes to Vitamin C. Did you know that one serving of potatoes contains 70% of the daily allowance? They’re also a good source of Vitamin B-6 and Potassium, as is broccoli. Yes, this soup is beyond good, it’s great!
- One head of broccoli florets and stems
- 4 large Idaho potatoes – peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- one large onion – diced
- 1/32 oz. box of organic vegetable broth
- one tbsp. salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. ground thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- 1 seeded and diced tomato for garnish
- 3 strands of chives chopped for garnish
- Steam the broccoli until the stems can be pierced with a fork. They should be firm, not too soft.
- In a large pan filled halfway with water, boil the potatoes and onions until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork. Drain the water and add the broccoli to the potatoes and onions.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the pan with the potatoes and broccoli and lower the heat to medium low. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to a creamy texture.
- Add the seasoning and stir until combined.
- Garnish with the tomato and chives.